So you’ve written a book, or you’re in the middle of writing one, or just thinking about it. Everyone says you should persevere. You have to get it published. It’s a great story, page turning actually. Well, that’s what your friends tell you, but is it enough?
How will you get it noticed by a publisher? Is it even good enough to be published?
Maybe you should self-publish or put it on Amazon?
What do publishers know anyway? How do they decide what manuscripts to accept, what to reject?
Perhaps you should just put it in a suitcase under the bed and take up pottery instead.
If this is where you find yourself, why not come along to a day that will give you the facts, and possibly a little fiction into the bargain, from two people who know about publishing and the ever evolving book business – from inside and out.
The day’s seminar will cover the process from finished manuscript to published book – in whatever format that may be.
- How you should submit your work to a publisher – do you need an agent or is it OK just to send it off?
- How does an agent work?
- What about an editor – will it help your chances of getting published if an editor works on your manuscript before you submit it?
- How do you emerge from the notorious slush pile?
- Oh dear – a rejection letter: now what? Do you keep knocking on doors?
- What was wrong with your book – did the publisher even read it? How did they decide before they gave it the thumbs down?
- Acceptance! What does that mean? What happens now? When’s the launch, the author tour? How much money will you make? Does this mean international fame and fortune?
All of these themes and more will be discussed and your questions encouraged. AND you will get to meet a published guest author (Jo-Anne Richards), who will talk about her own publishing experience, and a bookshop manager who will give you a retail perspective on the publishing industry.
SEMINAR DETAILS – GAUTENG
- Date: Saturday, 21st of September 2013
- Venue: Monchique Guesthouse, Muldersdrift
- Time: 08h00 – 16h30
- Cost: R1 575 (includes resource material, a copy of How to Get Your Book Published and the Rough Guide to Social Media for Beginners, refreshments and a 3 course lunch)
To allow for valuable interaction between attendees and the convenors these seminars are limited to 20 people only.
To book your seat please email Tracey McDonald on firstname.lastname@example.org